Farro Salad with baby Kale.
It is a glorious day here in Palm Springs. The sun is shining and a cool breeze is blowing through the open doors and windows. All our Airbnb guests are out and about and I am devoting today to working on my cook cook. I prepared this excellent Farro salad with baby kale early this morning. That way, we have some good nutritious eats when we get hungry.
I came up with this salad a couple of years ago and have made several different combinations. I like this nutty grain with it’s chewy texture. It a great alternative to quinoa, couscous or rice. It is full of fiber, Zinc, Iron, vitamin B and protein. I add kale too, which boosts the health benefits. In my recipe I shave some Reggiano Parmigiano which adds a depth of flavor to this mild tasting grain. And the radish slices helps aid digestion. I throw in some cranberries for a tart sweet zing and raw cashews for a soft crunch. You can use cherry tomatoes or vine ripened, whatever you prefer. In fact, make it your own using the farro as your canvas and let me know how it turns out for you.
What you need
- 1 1/2 cup Farro
- 4 cups of veggie stock or water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- grind of black pepper
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup of raw cashew nuts
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup shaved Reggiano Parmigiano
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves chopped
- 1 cup parsley chopped
- 3 shallots finely chopped
- 2 cups of baby kale
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- In a medium saucepan bring farro, stock, salt and pepper to a boil, lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes till done. transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
- Whisk together the vinegar, garlic salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Add all the other ingredients to the farro and pour the dressing over it and combine well.
- taste and adjust seasoning.
This salad keeps well overnight.