Indian Zucchini Coconut Curry
The great thing about making an Indian curry is that you can use any vegetable you have on hand and turn it into a feast and something special. This is a delicious vegetarian dish. I bought some onions, garlic and zucchini at the farmers market and a few ripe tomatoes and green peppers and decided to make a curry. I usually grind the spice myself in my little coffee/spice grinder, but you can use already ground spice and it will make you a perfect dish.
With zucchini I like to make a lightly spiced curry so you can still taste the essence of the vegetable.
This recipe cooks fairly quickly and goes great with aromatic basmati rice a few whole cloves and a handful of baby peas, frozen will do nicely if you cant get fresh. The addition of coconut milk gives a velvety, creamy element to the curry.
what you need
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 pound zucchini cut into thick slices or cubed
- 2 medium tomatoes quartered
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp1 tsp onion seeds
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- coconut oil for frying
- In a medium sized pan heat the coconut oil heat till hot,then turn it down and add the mustard seeds. They will pop and splutter. Now add the turmeric, black pepper, chilli and onion seeds cook for 2 minutes.
- add the onion, garlic, ginger and cook till soft.
- add the green peppers and zucchini and stir well coating the veggies in the spices.
- add the coconut milk and salt and stir well a then throw in the tomatoes.
- Put a tight fitting lid on top of pan and simmer till veggies are cooked about 10 minutes or so, sprinkle in the garam masala and stir.
- Let the curry rest a while before serving with the basmati rice.